Reminder: Please review General Grant Information and Eligibility Requirements before proceeding.
This category provides funds to North Carolina-based organizations to hire knowledgeable consultants to strengthen management and programs, sponsor workshops or conferences, develop a resource publication, or engage in community cultural planning. Applications are made available upon request and are received on a rolling deadline.
- Application are received on a rolling deadline beginning: September 1, 2023.
- Grant award notifications are made in: October, December, February, and April.
- Applications must be received no later than: April 1, 2024
- Range: $500 to $2,000. On rare occasions, when the scope of the project provides significant benefit to the arts field, technical assistance grant amounts are made up to $5,000.
Who may apply
To be eligible for Arts Council funding, organizations:
- Must be a nonprofit organization;
- Must have been producing quality arts programs for at least two consecutive years;
- Must have prior-year organizational cash operating expenses of at least $20,000.
Please review our general grant eligibility and guideline for additional details.
Scope and allowable expenses
Grant funds can be used to:
- Hire knowledgeable consultants to strengthen an organization's management and programs
- Sponsor workshops or conferences that provide professional support to the larger arts sector
- Develop a resource publication that provides professional support to the larger arts sector
- Develop a community-wide cultural plan
- Provide scholarships to send staff members to conferences, workshops, or trainings
Grant funds support consultant or facilitator fees, travel expenses, registration fees, and other related expenses. Grant amounts generally range from $500 to $2,000. On rare occasions, when the scope of the project provides significant benefit to the arts field, technical assistance grant amounts are made up to $5,000.
Grants are generally matched dollar for dollar by the applicant, except in cases of demonstrated need. In those cases, the applicant may provide the consultant's food and lodging as the grant match. Generally, organizations may receive no more than one Technical Assistance grant per year.
Consultants must provide a written report to the organization. A copy must be attached to the organization's final report. Workshop and conference facilitators are not required to submit a written report. Organizations should communicate with Arts Council staff before applying in this category.
Technical Assistance application are received on a rolling deadline beginning on September 1, 2023. Applications must be received in our office at least nine weeks before funds are needed but no later than April 1, 2024. All funds must be spent by June 30, 2024.
How we make funding decisions
We evaluate applications using the following criteria:
- Potential effectiveness of the consultation, publication, conference, or workshop
- Potential impact on organization, community, or intended audience
- Credentials of proposed consultant/facilitators
- Need for services
- Evidence of community support and involvement for cultural planning development
Applicants should contact the appropriate North Carolina Arts Council staff to discuss the proposed idea. If the application proposal meets the criteria and funds are available, the applicant will proceed to submit an application through the GO Smart grant portal. New users to the grant portal will need to create a profile before applying for the grant.
Senior Program Director, Artists & Organizations
Jamie Katz Court
Music and Dance Director
Theater & Literature Director
Zoe van Buren
Arts in Communities Regional Director
Arts in Communities Regional Director
Grant Application Assistance
North Carolina Arts Council staff are here to assist with grant applications. Visit our application assistance page for resources and grants staff contact information.
For accessibility questions or accommodation requests, please contact the North Carolina Arts Council's Music and Dance Director, Accessibility Coordinator Jamie Katz Court at email@example.com or (919) 814-6502.