Nominate the Next N.C. Poet Laureate
Nominations for North Carolina Poet Laureate will be accepted from Monday, November 13 until Friday, Dec. 8 at midnight. Residents may nominate any North Carolina poet, or themselves, based on the conviction that they are best suited for the position. All nominees will be contacted to affirm their interest in being considered for the post, and will be invited to submit materials in support of their nomination by the deadline of January 5, 2018.
Only current North Carolina residents are eligible to be nominated. Judging will be based on the following criteria:
- A North Carolinian with deep connections to the cultural life of the state;
- Literary excellence of the poet’s work;
- Influence on other writers, and appreciation of literature in its diversity throughout the state;
- Ability and willingness to conduct the public engagement duties of the office;
- Statewide, national or international reputation
After review of all applicants, a selection committee will recommend names to Governor Roy Cooper, who will choose the ninth poet laureate of North Carolina. An installation ceremony, open to the public, will take place during the first quarter of 2018.