Since 2008, Mildred’s Umbrella has celebrated the dark, quirky, odd, and absurd with a collection of shorts. Now in its twelfth year, Museum of Dysfunction has become a highlight of the Houston theater season. The plays are read blind by a committee and chosen for their alignment with Mildred’s Umbrella’s mission and guidelines, as well as their unique perspective. Plays will require no more than 6 actors. Plays will run no more than 12 minutes. Plays will have minimal set, costume, prop, and special effect requirements. Plays have not been previously produced in the greater Houston area.
Plays must follow the guidelines listed below:
- Submission deadline is December 31, 2019.
- Submissions are only accepted via email and must be in .pdf format.
- Complete a Google Form with contact and play information to receive an email address link to submit your play. Google Form is at http://bit.ly/33bImya
- Play Submission is FREE but no more than 2 submissions will be accepted.
- Plays will require no more than 6 actors.
- Plays will run no more than 12 minutes.
- Plays will have minimal set, costume, prop, and special effect requirements.
- Plays have not been previously produced in the greater Houston area.
- Plays must included a title sheet with Title, Playwright, cast of characters (with brief description), and setting. (The title sheet will be removed for the reading committee so that submissions are blind.)
- Plays fall into the weird, dark, quirky, odd, strange, absurd and/or dysfunctional categories.
- Plays align with Mildred’s Umbrella’s mission: “We strive to feature the work of female playwrights, actors, and directors, which promotes the empowerment of women in theater.”
- This means either female identifying playwrights and/or a focus on female identifying characters.
- The aesthetic of Museum of Dysfunction is to highlight the dark corners of life, celebrate difference, and accept our dysfunction. Please submit your plays with this in mind.